Thursday 20 November 2014

Patti Smith on The Vatican gig

“I’m not playing to the Pope,” she snapped with classic ferocity. “He may not even be there! But I expect there’ll be a bunch of cardinals …” (Audience applause, laughter.) “It’s a Christmas concert for the people, and it’s being televised. I like Pope Francis and I’m happy to sing for him. Anyone who would confine me to a line from 20 years ago is a fool!” (Much applause.) “I had a strong religious upbringing, and the first word on my first LP is Jesus. I did a lot of thinking. I’m not against Jesus, but I was 20 and I wanted to make my own mistakes and I didn’t want anyone dying for me. I stand behind that 20-year-old girl, but I have evolved. I’ll sing to my enemy! I don’t like being pinned down and I’ll do what the fuck I want, especially at my age … oh, I hope there’s no small children here!” (Huge applause.)
Via

No comments:

Post a Comment